The City Life Program Assistant offers help, hope, and wholeness to youth in their designated neighborhood to bring teens to know Christ. S/he works to develop Christ-sharing and shepherding relationships with at-risk youth.
This position requires spiritual and organizational leadership skills, the ability to work with and through other people, and strong communication skills. S/he will seek to implement relational ministry actions to develop Authentic Christ-Sharing Relationships with young people within the context of their YFC ministry model.
Ministry Team Development
- Attends regular staff meetings, as well as special trainings throughout the year
- Ability to create a positive, enriching environment for youth while assisting students with completion of Homework and other activities during the after school program.
- Follow the daily activity schedule set by the Program Site Director for the after school school program.
- Leads and assists in all areas of the program: Bible studies, skills, and other small group academic and social and emotional learning activities planned by the team
- Participates in all after school program activities fully, including field trips, Family Nights, etc
- Submit lesson plans for assigned activities related to after school programming to the Site Director
- Follows mentoring guidelines set up by Site Director
- Has all materials and supplies ready before programming begins
- completes special tasks; shopping, set-up, or clean-up duties when needed
- Mentor 3-5 kids on a weekly basis
- Create a positive, enriching academic and social/emotional environment for the youth
Relational Ministry Action Development
- Responsible for serving in the Relational Ministry Actions (RMAs)
- Work with a 3 Story Team at their site to accomplish the standards outlined in the RMAs found in the Knowledge Base
- Establish, develop, and implement programming materials
Because the overriding religious purpose and mission of Youth for Christ USA is to communicate and introduce the Gospel of Jesus Christ to young people and their families, and in that regard to make, educate and encourage life-long disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, it is very important that you as an employee in the movement of Youth for Christ be recognized as an associate minister of the Gospel.
As an employee of Youth for Christ and an associate minister of the Gospel, YFC expects all employees to:
- Seek God’s guidance and wisdom, through prayer and meditation, for the organization as a whole as well as for specific ministry initiatives.
- Participate and lead regular times of prayer, devotion and worship as a regular aspect of your role within YFC.
- Teach and preach from the Holy Bible at YFC programming
- Model empathy, humility and care for all people. This includes promoting equity and inclusion in word and in the practice of faith expression. YFC employees will have an opportunity to be commissioned or licensed as a minister of the Gospel through the established Youth for Christ process, and/or ordained by an outside body recognized by Youth for Christ USA.
Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated experience working with children/youth
- Available to work the required program hours (typically 1:30 - 6:30pm)
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills, including leadership skills
- Ability to work and interact in a diverse environment/community.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work as an effective team member
- Reliable personal transportation
- Positive response to criminal background check (fingerprint)
- Embraces the vision, mission and Statement of Faith of YFC
- Understands YFC’s 5 Essentials and leads through this model
- Strong moral character and of good repute
- Connect well with youth
- Well-spoken in front of youth and adults
- Manage a team of diverse volunteers
- Honors and pursues diversity of gifts, cultures and ethnicities
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities
- Good relationship building skills with adults and young people
- Perseverance through opposition and obstacles
Our cultural attributes are not about competency. It is an obedience to the call of Christ on our lives. YFC believes that spiritually healthy adults fosters healthy relationships with our kids. We place a heavy commitment and emphasis on developing and equipping a Christ-centered life marked by Enduring Humility, Relentless Trust, Joyful Camaraderie, Courageous Faithfulness and Kingdom Inspired Diversity. Willing to demonstrate and/or possesses the following:
- Ability to humbly serve and honor others even in difficult situations with prayer, consistency, transparency, and resilience. (Enduring Humility)
- Demonstrates proper reliance on God, others, and self through generous giving of time and skills, by collaboratively incorporating others’ ideas, welcoming candid input, recognizing others’ need for grace and extending forgiveness and empathy. (Relentless Trust)
- Prioritizes others’ needs for a missional outcome, characterized by joy, with active listening and problem-solving skills, while encouraging and empowering fellow believers. (Joyful Camaraderie)
- Trusts God with new approaches and changes, and communicates needs and limits with emotional intelligence, while seeking confidence and wisdom in Christ. (Courageous Faithfulness)
- Seeks authentic Christ-Centered relationships with people of various backgrounds, fosters an inviting environment and empowers historically marginalized groups and indigenous populations (within the local context), through active listening, inclusion, advocacy for those who are vulnerable and respect of others’ experiences. (Kingdom Inspired Diversity)
Credentials Required & Preferred Education
- High School Diploma
- Some college is preferred
All YFC employees are expected to regularly and actively participate in faithful activities that advance the stewardship functions of YFC USA. These activities will include—but are not limited to— extending invitations to fund raising events, recruiting personal circle of influence/YFC donor contacts, sending letters, handwritten notes, personal calls, and personally ministering to donor contacts.
YFC is classified as an Association of Churches and as such our hiring practices reflect that designation. As a religious nonprofit organization, Youth For Christ incorporates within each leader role, the requirement to model, teach, share and live the faith. The relationship between YFC’s mission and each of its leaders is its lifeblood and as such does at all times and in all instances reserve the right to make employment decisions based upon a person’s religious beliefs, personal character and lifestyle consistent with our understanding of the Bible or with our overall goals and requirements for Christian ministry.
We seek to create a workplace that is intentional about Kingdom Inspired Diversity. Our commitment to our employees extends to their opportunities for growth, development, promotion, training and compensation.
We will make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities, unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to the organization.